What's your Name? What you do? How you do?

You know I work all day, and play all night. This is the life of a Gaskilla, Gaskilla, Gaskilla. I got some more thoughts to drop on everyone. So let me cut to the chase.

Well, college basketball will come to a close on Monday night. Michigan State and UNC will tip at 9:21 in the D for all the marbles. Michigan State shocked the world by laying the wood right to UCONN and UNC just dominated ‘Nova. When I look at this game I immediately say UNC. Before the season even started I said UNC would win it all, so why I had Pitt winning in my bracket I don’t know. Michigan State on the other hand is playing really good team basketball right now. Not to mention they are playing 80 miles form East Lansing so they got the home crowd cheering for them. I want so hard to pull for State and I probably will while I watch the game. Plus, I've been pimping Tom Izzo and State ever since they won it all in 2000.  I just think UNC is too much for Michigan State to handle. Oh by the way, did I mention that UNC completely laid the wood to Michigan State on December 3rd, at Ford Field, and won by 35. Granted, State didn’t have Suton and Delvon Roe was playing limited minutes. But, those two do not make up 35 points. Izzo said even if both of them had been productive in that game they still lose by 20. UNC wins the title in 2009.

Penn State won the NIT. The NIttany Lions beat Baylor after pulling away with about nine minutes to go. I have little to say about this win because I can’t stand Penn State except for the fact Jamelle Cornley is from da’Haven aka Brookhaven in Columbus, Ohio. He was a freshman in high school when Lil' Drew aka Drew Lavender was a senior. So I got to give Jamelle props. Everything else about Penn State is dumb. If anyone missed it, not only is Joe Paterno old but he’s racist. He called basketball a “jewish mans game” back in the day referring to when he played and today’s game he called a “black man’s game.” I still have respect for the NIT but it’s where I draw the line. The CBI and the College Insiders Tournament are both stupid and if you as a head coach accept bids to either of those tournaments you’re stupid.

The coaching carousel has been in full effect. Obviously the big news is Calipari leaving the M-Town and heading to the “Commonwealth.” First of all, why does everyone feel the need to call Kentucky the “Commonwealth?” I don’t understand. But I guess there are just some things better left unanswered. Either way, Cal is now the highest paid coach in both college basketball and football. This is where Calipari can either further his legacy or have it burn into the ground. I think he does the former. Kentucky is just like Big D in football, the Domers in football, and the Yankees in baseball. Expectations will always be through the roof. Cal is going to get this team back to where they belong. The NCAA tournament. However, I don’t see him reviving the Comeback Cat days. It will just be so tough for him to win a title there but I think he makes a run at it. Kentucky just doesn't have that luster anymore.  The dudes Cal recruited to come to Memphis this year will not follow him to UK.  It's more a less a lock that Xavier Henry and his brother go to Kansas (Early 2010 NCAA Champ Prediction...Kansas).  Mike Anderson was offered the job at Georgia but gave them a no thanks and signed a 7-year extension at Mizzou. I love that the “40 Minutes of Hell” remains at Mizzou. Speaking of “40 Minutes of Hell,” I watched the 1994 National Title game the other day (Arkansas vs. Duke). What a great matchup between Nolan Richardson and Coach K. Corliss Williamson was such a hoss back then. A great name from the past, Cherokee Parks got a big deny as the Razorbacks raised the trophy that year.  Reports were sure that Tim Floyd would accept the job, however, he denied them. I think he got more straight at USC.  Sean Miller already denied Arizona saying “he wasn’t interested” or is he?

Update: It was brought to my attention late Friday night that Sean Miller is now “listening” to Arizona. As of Sunday afternoon Sean was reported to be meeting with the AD. I’ve talked to a number of people who are close to the situation and they have told me they know as much as we do. They have heard he’ll leave and they have heard he’ll stay. The reality of the situation as long as Sean is at Xavier and as long as he continues to be successful his name is always going to come up with big time jobs. Eventually, Sean is going to leave. I just don’t want it to be now. Either way, I will always be a “Sean guy.” Wherever he ends up you can believe that I instantly become a fan. As far as Sean going to ‘Zona, it doesn’t make sense to me. In my opinion he loses exposure because of the time difference and he has to change his recruiting style. He was born and raised in Pittsburgh, he played in the Big East, and he has made his mold in the A-10. The ACC or Big East makes much more sense to me. If Jim Calhoun steps down, you will certainly here Sean’s name in the mix there too. It’s a waiting game now.

Update Pt. 2: Some more information has come out regarding my main man Sean Miller. He met with Arizona’s AD out in Albuquerque, NM today. It was said that a donor flew Miller out in a private jet where he met with Jim Livengood. It is said that somewhere along the lines of $15 million over 7 years has been offered to Miller. Miller will return to Cincinnati tonight and mull the offer. Xavier’s AD Miker Bobinski has told the Cincinnati Enquirer that Xavier plans to counter offer. The question is how much can Xavier fork up for a counter offer. Again, the bottom line is Xavier was never going to have Miller for life but the potential move to Arizona just does not make sense on all levels. Miller is not the only candidate for the job. Steve Alford interviewed yesterday. Miller is Arizona’s number one candidate though and a possible trip to Tuscon may be in the works later this week for Miller to see the campus and facilities. While Miller isn’t a “money” guy, a friend of mine brought up a good point. When you sit down with a financial advisor and talk about what $15 million looks like and what it can compound annually with interest it becomes a very enticing offer.

Update Pt. 3: It's still Miller time at Xavier folks.  He gave 'Zona a big no thanks.

Update Pt. 4: Check that, Sean Miller is now the Arizona head coach.  7-years, $18 million, $1 million signing bonus  

BJ “Or You Could Do It Like The Post Office” Raymond participated in the Final Four All-Star Game. Post Office’s team won 105-100. Benjamin dropped 12 points, had 3 assists, and hauled in one board. This All-Star game is just one of many accolades he has received this year. He will next be participating in the Portsmouth Invitational. PIT is a tournament where college seniors showcase their talents in front of NBA and European Scouts. I cannot say enough about BJ.  He just does it like the post office.  Findlay, Ohio baller and Columbus, Ohio native Josh Bostic had 4 points, 7 boards, and 4 assists. On a sidenote, my main man Nolan Richardson was the coach for Bostic and Benjamin’s squad. Boom baby.

With the sudden strike of youth to the Men’s National Soccer Team the US is looking more and more like a legit squad on the pitch. They smoked Trinidad & Tabago 3-0 on Wednesday night. Landon Donovan had three assists and 19 year-old phenom Jozy Altidore had a hat trick. Jozy became the youngest US team member to record a hat trick. Nice dude. Sticking with soccer. I know a lot of people like to bash the MLS. But, I’ve been down with it since its inception. Specifically, I’ve been a Columbus Crew fan since they were playing in the Horseshoe. They won the MLS Cup in 2008 and are looking to do it again this year. They have hometown hero and fellow Kilbourne Wolf, Danny O’Rourke locking it down on D. They also got my guy Frankie Hejduk doing the baddest things. If you haven’t hopped on a team’s bandwagon yet I suggest you rep the Crew.

In case you have not noticed UVA Men’s Lacrosse is ranked #1 in the country and undefeated. Last week they won a 7-overtime thriller over Maryland and came back from a halftime deficit against UNC this past weekend.

It has been brought to my attention that another team in the ACC is trying to rival The U in producing rap groups. Of course we all know about the 7th Floor Crew. If you don’t know about the 7th Floor Crew basically it was a group of individuals most were from the football team and they all lived on the 7th floor of a dorm at The U. They all rapped over a beat about various things they’ve done to girls, where they’ve done them, and how they’ve done them. Each verse the rapper would state his name, what he does, and how he does. If you have sensitive ears it's not for you. Since this rap has come out many people have tried to imitate and duplicate. The latest being at the University of Virginia. UVA’s answer to the 7th Floor Crew is Get Smacked Productions. I have yet to hear any track to judge the talent but I’m willing to bet it’s weak. Their number one hit I’ve been told is “Volleyball Body.”

Twitter is stupid. North Korea, I have two words for you, SUCK IT. Early Saturday morning fire alarms at your apartment are beats.








War Big Whiskey and the Groogrux King.
-Killa

5 comments:

  1. being an arizona fan, i like the inside info on our new coach. keep it coming until he signs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also in the final four all-star game was jimmy bartolotta from MIT, d3 player of the year. however, the gordon college fighting scots held him to a quiet 20 and pounded the engineers in OT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doc,I must say that I am extremely happy that your hero, Sean Miller, is staying here at X. This campus would be in a state of depression had he decided to go to Zona. Miller loves this place and after he takes Xavier to the Final 4 next year he will be able to name his price to just about any place he wants. Hopefully he decides to pull a Mark Few and stay put.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like dat Benny. Way to rep the DIII level! No thanks MIT, no thanks Wildacats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so im glad the blog has the info once again before anyone can confirm it. thanks for the updates

    ReplyDelete