Spaceman

I'm a little behind on this so I get to hit on three games at once. First of all, the debacle that was the Duke game. Clearly, if your offense puts up 48 points then you should never EVER lose, ESPECIALLY TO DUKE. However, that wasn't the case. I mean come on. I'm obviously pointing the finger at the defense on this one. Seriously, I'm 0-3 against Duke in football. That is what I like to call not sweet. Granted, Verica did throw three picks, two of which gave the Duke offense a short field. Still unacceptable to lose 55-48 to Duke. Did I mention that we put their BEST offensive player out of the game in the 3rd quarter? Yet, we still give up a 4th and 18 and then a 45 yard toss sweep to lose the game. UNACCEPTABLE. It's well over a week after that loss and I'm still trying to figure out what happened. Bill Lazor has proven his worth so far this year, no question. The offense has put up points. I'm asking for the defense to step up and help out a little bit. It doesn't help when key defensive player and team leader Ras-i Dowling has been hampered with injuries all season long and now will officially be laid up for the rest of the season and his UVA career with a shattered ankle in the first quarter of the Maryland game. Again, we were competing in this game and suddenly the 4th quarter arrived and things went south. I really have no explanation for what happened other than we just plain lost in the 4th quarter. Maryland certainly has some player makers on both sides of the ball in wide out Torrey Smith and LB Alex Wujciak. So the record now sits at 4-6 and more than likely little to no chance at a bowl game as it stands, even if we win out since we do have two 1-aa opponents on the schedule (have I mentioned I'm sick and tired of playing 1-AA teams?). Anyways, we go up to Boston College this weekend in what will for sure be a tough one. It's going to be cold and Boston College will be playing for a bowl berth. I gotta think that we can at least compete if not try and play spoiler and come out of Boston with a W. I still think Boston College will be at least 7 point favorites in this game.

Ohio State is still getting it done with a win over Penn State after finally waking up in the second half. Pryor only through the ball 13 times and connected on 8 of those attempts, two of which were for TDs. The defense had two pick-6's as well. As it stands as long as Ohio State wins out they will more than likely receive an at large bowl berth to a BCS bowl and potentially face off against someone like Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl. This would be a preview of a match up down the road as Ohio State has a home and home contract with the Chokies starting in a few years.

Xavier won the season and home opener against Wester Michigan, although it was a struggle, only winning 62-59. Until Jamel McClean returns (which should be in time for the Iowa game later this week), Xavier will rely heavily on guard play. At this point in time, Tu Holloway is going to have to be the go to scorer as no one else has really proven themselves. Dante Jackson will for sure be the team leader and a key outside threat. Cheekz is going to be the dribble drive guy and who can get to the bucket with ease but will need to play with control. I really need and expect Kenny Frease to finally step up and use that 7 foot massive framed body. He should easily be dominating inferior competition but he hasn't which is disappointing. Jeff Robinson will be asked to step up as well. Once Jamel returns he will be the force inside both on the glass and scoring but he will need some help down low. I don't see why Xavier shouldn't be able to get past IPFW tomorrow night. The Paradise Jam holds some solid competition but with the return of Jamel down there I don't see why Xavier won't be able to compete at the highest level. I still see Xavier coming up with something along the realms of 22-23 wins this season. I know some people will probably disagree but again I always play role of super optimist when it comes to X.

I'm going to be honest, when it comes to this weekend, my focus will not be on the Boston College game, it won't be on the Iowa game (Ohio State), and it even won't be on what X is doing down in the Paradise Jam. All day Saturday, all I'll be able to think about is getting back to Charlottesville for what is setting up to be one of the most epic jam sessions known to man. I will be in attendance for my 5th DMB concert of the year and what will most likely be my last DMB concert until at least 2012 (they're taking all of 2011 off). It is their last full band concert until at least 2012 and they're closing out where it all started, Charlottesville. I'll be in attendance for night 2 of the 2 night stand. The hype that is building is beginning to overflow as this fall tour so far has seen nothing but greatness and unpredictability by the band. I've been in full jam mode since last Monday when I secured my ticket. The anticipation is like noting I've ever experienced when it comes to a DMB concert. I don't even know what songs I want to hear the most. The following would be a dream set list for this Saturday night:

Big Eyed Fish >>
Bartender
Crush
Dancing Nancies >>
Warehouse
Say Goodbye >>
#41
So Damn Lucky
Seven
You & Me
The Maker
The Stone
Grey Street
Crash (Into Me)
Don't Drink The Water
You Never Know
Stay (Wasting Time)
--------------------
Time Bomb >>
Two Step
--------------------
Dreaming Tree
Last Stop

Ok, maybe a bit unrealistic and probably lacking in Big Whiskey tracks. Jesus, I'm getting goosebumps right now (listening to Two Step, Live From Citi Field) thinking about what Saturday night holds.

-'Killa

No comments:

Post a Comment