The college hoops season is drawing to an end but not without going out with a bang. This year's tournament and by tournament I mean the NCAA tournament (no one cares about the NIT, CBI, or College Insider) has been unreal. Last weekend once again proved why college basketball is awesome.
I need to first talk about my boys at Xavier. Thursday night's game against Kansas State was arguably one of the best college basketball games I have ever witnessed. It went double OT with so many high level plays. When it looked like Xavier was done in regulation Terrell Holloway got fouled in the act of shooting a three. He calmly stepped to the line and knocked down three pressure foul shots. Then it was the man of the night, Jordan Crawford knocking down one of the biggest time shots I've ever seen. That three he laced from about 32 feet was truly an exclamation point on his season at Xavier. The guy is just absolutely unreal. Both him and Holloway put the team on their back in the extra sessions. Even though Xavier fell just short in the second over time I felt nothing but proud to be a Musketeer as the final horn sounded. There was nothing to hang your head on in that game. They played extremely hard and fought until the end. Thanks to Jason Love for a fantastic four years. Like BJ Raymond last you, Love showed what it truly means to be a Musketeer. He stuck with it, got better every year, and went out a winner no matter how you look at it. He too is a role model for any basketball player coming into that program. The more BJ Raymonds and Jason Loves they get the better. Coach Mack had a heck of a first year and I'm thoroughly looking forward to many more years like that from him at X. In closing, I would like to say that I think Jordan Crawford is jumping to the league. I mean after the numbers he put up in the tournament, how can he not leave? I've been told that he's projected as a top 20 pick. If he does return, an imminent NBA lock out in 2011 would force him to stay through his senior year and I just don't see him wanting to stay that long, especially with his talent and potential. He has the total package to play in the league right now. But then again, I read just over a month ago that NBA scouts would like for him to stay one more year. That would be unreal and certainly be huge for the team next year. It would certainly make them a pre season top 15 team in my mind. Only time will tell. Until then I will pray like five times a day that he stays. I am already looking forward to the start of the 2010 season! Do what we do.
In the first semi-final Butler will match up against Michigan State. What a story line here. First you have Michigan State making it to their second consecutive Final Four. Seriously, you can never count Tom Izzo and Sparty out in March. That guy and his teams always click come tournament time. Even with out Kalin Lucas they still have the fire power to advance to the biggest stage in college basketball. Butler is quite a story in itself. I know it was salt in the wound to all Xavier fans to see them beat Kansas State full knowing that a rematch between Butler and Xavier would've been the perfect opportunity to advance to the Final Four. But, you have to give Butler a lot of credit. They are the little school that could. In reality they have been on the map since the late 90s and finally got over the hump. Not only are they in the Final Four but it's being played in their back yard in Indianapolis. Much like Michigan State last year in Detroit, Butler has a great opportunity to do something special in front of the home crowd. Lucas Oil Stadium will certainly be rocking on Saturday night. I think on paper you have to give the slight advantage to Michigan State in this match up. Tom Izzo is the veteran coach who has been on this stage plenty of times and knows what it takes to win. Not only that, I would argue their talent is better than Butler's talent. Not to put Butler aside, they have legit guys too. Gordon Hayward, Shelvin Mack, and Matt Howard are three very very solid players and obviously they have proven their worth by advancing to the Final Four. My mind says Michigan State but the my great story line loving heart says Butler. This game could come down to a possession or two, I got Michigan State to make it's second National Title game in a row here. Sorry to my sister who went to Butler, but I got Sparty in this one.
In the second semi-final you have Duke and West Virginia. In Duke you have the sure fire hall of famer Coach K at the healm of the ship leading a once again very solid, sound, and skilled Duke team to their first Final Four since 2004. Duke is probably the least talked about team in this tournament. They have quietly been winning in solid fashion. They probably had the easiest run up to this point as well. Of all four teams left I would say they have the best chance at winning this whole thing. Their inside presence is really good. I mean they out rebounded a very athletic Baylor team, a team who rarely if ever gets out rebounded. They can stroke from deep as well and Nolan Smith is the slasher with a ton of potential. On the other end you have a West virginia team coached by hard nosed and well respected Bob Huggins. Huggy Bear stopped the most talented team in the country in stunning fashion. The 1-3-1 zone worked to perfection on Kentucky as they went 0-fer from long range. With the possibility of Truck Bryant returning to the line up this weekend they will be at full force. Da'Sean Butler is a very good player. Devin Ebanks at 6'8" can guard a perimeter player and seems to be coming into his own this tournament. Defensive leader Mazzula out of nowhere scored 17 against Kentucky as well. Because I picked West Virginia to lose to Kansas in the title game I'm going to stick with West Virginia here. They are my pick to match up with Michigan State next Monday night in Indy.
Meanwhile while hoops as been in full affect things have been going down here in Charlottesville. We are half way through spring practice. I really like the tempo of practice so far. The new staff is great and I can see the attitude changing in players already. Marc Verica has looked solid as QB 1 and the defense looks good in the new 4-3 scheme. Our spring game is April 10th and then we will begin getting ready for a much anticipated match up with Richmond on September 4th followed by a little trip out west to USC on September 11th. Stay tuned. The men's baseball team is still #1 in the country after taking 2 of 3 from top 5 ranked Clemson this weekend. The men's lacrosse team is also still ranked #1 and undefeated after beating Johns Hopkins this weekend. UVA athletics is just on deam right now.
It's that time of year, softball is back. I once again will be taking to the field on a football staff squad. We're looking for a little better effort this year as I think we were placed in a division a little over our heads. I just got a new glove so you know I'm ready to take right field and have that on lock. They are implementing wooden bats this year which should be interesting. I do plan on keeping my power hitting heavy in the mix. The Young Guns and Old Men are back with much swagger this year.
-'Killa
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
'Killa... just another thread that we have in common... I played right field. Although, back in the day, that is where the talent challenged players were hidden? Put another way, the year I broke my wrist, my team won the city championship.. coincidence...mmmmm?? You can't be all things to all people, eg, the Councilman serving my constituents, the world's coolest dad, something had to give.. it was sporting ability. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteThe Councilman