We were treated to quite the March. This year's NCAA tournament was one for the ages. I've never quite seen a tournament like the one we just had. Between the absurd upsets, classic games, and unlikely runs this certainly was a tournament to remember and certainly for the best. With the imminent tournament expansion to 96 (I'll get to this later) it was great to go out in style this year. My yearly seasonal obsession with college basketball came to an end last night as Duke was left standing at the top of the mountain in a great championship game. I think the fans got what they deserved this weekend in Indianapolis. Let me first congratulate Butler on one heck of a season. Their 25 game winning streak ended last night but you have to feel nothing but respect for that program. In my opinion, like Xavier, Butler has long been on the map but just waiting to get the recognition they deserve and certainly this year proved it more than anything else. Even though they don't play in a "Big 6" conference they continue to compete at the highest level. Even though they don't land 5-star one and done athletes they continue to compete at a high level. Even though they have lost coaches to bigger pay checks and brighter lights they continue to compete at the highest level. Even though their basketball program operates at $1.6 million (Duke +$13 million) they continue to compete at the highest level. Butler's 25 game win streak that ended last night included an undefeated conference play record. Gordon Hayward didn't even play AAU basketball because he was a state tennis champion and yet could leave for the NBA this year and get drafted in the first round. Coaches like Thad Matta and Todd Lickliter paved the way for Brad Stevens to be so successful at such a young age and is now a hot commodity amongst college coaches. In fact, Matta hired Stevens and got him started in college hoops. At 33 Stevens has only lost 16 games in three years, that is very impressive. How he handles himself throughout games and with the media is like Coach Wooden back in the day. Very stoic and calm. I never once saw him lose his mind or composure this year. I mean when he beat Michigan State, he cooly strolled across the sideline, hand in pocket, and shook Izzo's hand like it's not a big deal. The unbelievable eye gouging fact is that absurd difference in operating budgets between Duke and Butler ($12 million). But yet, Butler was just as competitive and was right there until the final horn sounded with just as good of a chance to beat Duke last night. Incredible. That just goes to show if you believe in your coach, system, and teammates anything is possible. You certainly have to tip your hats to Duke for the job they did this year. They were pretty steady all season long and did what Duke does and that's not only be on TV more than Leave it Beaver re-runs but its fundamentally beat opponents and wear people down with a deep bench and solid play. The big three of Scheyer, Smith, and Singler again lead the team last night along with a solid performance from Zoubek. Coach K is a sure fire Hall of Famer as he won his 4th NCAA championship last night. I really hope he doesn't go to the Nets, and I don't think he will, because that would be a shame. He does more good for college basketball than he could for an awful franchise. Overall, what a game last night. I was glued to the TV until the horn sounded. My favorite moment, the brick wall of a screen Matt Howard (sweet Larry Bird mustache) laid on Kyle Singler as Gordon Hayward rushed to get a near running half court bank shot to fall.
I do have some beefs to get off my chest. First of all, CBS, please get rid of Jim Nantz. I never realized how bad this guy is until the departure of Billy Packer. Packer was so bad he overshadowed the awfulness of Jim Nantz. Dude you are terrible. Anything would be better than you to call that game. How about the trio of Gus Johnson, Clark Kellog, and Bill Raferty?! That would be absolutely unreal. Secondly, CBS, One Shining Moment. Seriously. You butchered that one too. I have watched that for as long as I can remember but I didn't even bother giving it a chance last night after I heard you changed from Luther Vandross to Jennifer Hudson. I heard you showed more shots of her in the studio and cheerleaders than notable performances or performers. That's pathetic and a disgrace to one of the best traditions to go along with the tournament. Nike, those hats and t-shirts, terrible. That's all I'm going to say. Terrible. Finally, the expansion of the tournament to 96 teams. Sure this is a money motivating move but seriously, why? This makes end of the season conference tournaments irrelevant. It ruins the excitement of tournament in general. I don't care that it will still be a three week tournament. I don't. Why would you think this is a good idea? Twenty four seeds in each region? NO. Basically, I'm a sucker for the old school and don't want to see everyone and their brother make the tournament just because people are greedy and people wine and complain each year becasue they schedule piece of crap non-conference schedules and then don't make the tournament (Seth Greenberg). This is also a shame.
While the tournament was in full action last weekend so were UVA athletics. LAX remains undefeated and remains #1 in the country after a big time win on the road at #4 Maryland. This Saturday at 4pm UVA LAX will take on UNC in the Meadowlands to officially open up the new Ginats/Jets stadium. It will be televised on ESPNU. I suggest you try and watch this as UNC is undefeated this year. Baseball unfortunately dropped their first series of the season. I don't know what they're ranked now but they play host to #3 Georgia Tech this weekend, I will check out Friday night's game. Also this SAturday is the UVA Football Spring Game! It should be a good look for the fans to see what the new staff has got going on. I can tell everyone that the attitude has changed around here. Practices are very uptempo and guys are really buying into the new staff and looking pretty good out there. The D is legit even with a new scheme (4-3). Marc Verica has really been on fire this spring. His confidence is soaring and he seems to have control of the new offense and is really firing the rock around to Kris Burd, Dontrelle Inman, and Tim Smith. There is a high level of optimism coming out of the spring, leading into the summer workouts and this upcoming season! Stay tuned.
The Masters are this weekend so I'm pretty excited to finally sit down and watch some golf on a Sunday afternoon. Of course the hustle and bustle is all about Tiger making his return. It will certainly boost ratings and golf will be back to where it was prior to his brief hiatus. I think he is going to be somewhere in striking distance on Sunday but may end up coming up short. But, I'm really excited to see what he does. If I had a little more knowledge about golf I would provide more insight but I don't. So may the best man win. I wish Justin Leonard was still a baller because he would be my guy in golf.
I cannot wait for 40 Games in 40 Nights! For those of you unaware of what I'm talking about, I'm talking about the NBA Playoffs. The regular season is coming to an end. I love nothing more than NBA Playoffs. The Cavs should have home court throughout the playoffs. They are playing at a HIGH level right now and Antawn Jamison seems to be fitting in just fine. In case you missed it LeBron recently said he has one goal and one goal only. That is to bring a title to Cleveland and he's going to stop at nothing to bring that trophy home where it belongs! This leads me to believe 1. he's ready to go hard in the playoffs and 2. he's making a reference to wanting to stay with Cleveland when this summer comes around. Only time will tell on #2 but the Cavs have as good of a chance to win it this year as they have ever had. Let's go Cavs!
It's 91 today here in Charlottesville. A little hot for the spring but I can't complain. Nice weather means one thing. I'm compiling my summer mix to officially drop when I buy my new whip sometime in mid to late May. I plan on debuting the entire mix no later than Memorial Day weekend. Stay tuned.
-'Killa
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
here i'll add a little to your lack of golf knowledge:
ReplyDeletenatalie gulbis
'Killa,
ReplyDeleteWhen it comes to golf, go no further than Freddie Cupples.. the dude just turned 50; has the sweetest swing in golf, bar none, forget the era; is the wearer of a green jacket; can dominate the senior circuit but prefers to whip the youngster's azzes; and oh by the way, was the successful President's Cup captain last fall! Enuf said. PS, Nate has good taste!
The Councilman
Gotta love Freddie Couples Councilman! Great call! Nate, also a great call! Remember when we used to play Tiger Woods for hours upon hours?! We dominated that game for an entire summer then along came Medal of Honor.
ReplyDelete