Xavier is on the fence...of being really good or not being really good. Last night's game brings a new sense of urgency to the program. Xavier fell to Wake Forest in the first of 10 Skip Prosser Classics. I guess you could say Skip got what he deserved. A thrilling edge of your seat match up that took two extra periods to decide the outcome. Now we can sit here and debate all night and all day about the game but let me lay a few things out there. First of all, without Jordan Crawford, Xavier isn't even in the game. But, with Jordan Crawford there are still questionable decisions being made that may or may not have an affect on the game. I'm telling you guys, he is tremendously gifted and clearly was the most talented player on the floor last night. But, it just blows my mind at the lack of general basketball IQ he has. That's being blunt and maybe he's not entirely to blame. Before I give my opinion on what was the biggest mistake of the game I would like to point out ways Xavier wins that game in regulation. First of all, why in the world would you foul a guy taking an off-balance three at the end of the first half? This gives the Deacons three free throws that cut the lead to two (if this doesn't happen Xavier wins by three in regulation?). How or why is Jordan Crawford shooting two technical free throws that he misses? In the media timeout, you are made well aware of the fact there will be two technical foul shots awarded, so why not sub in Holloway (I don't think he was in the game at the time) who leads the A-10 in free throw percentage at almost a 90% clip or even sub in Brad Redford, a guy who just doesn't miss from the line (Xavier wins by 5?). You also have to look at about a 6 or 7 minute stretch in which I really wondered if Xavier was giving any sort of effort on the floor. Wake went up by 10 and Xavier had to crawl it's way back in and did a good job doing so but these lapses have to stop. After getting a call that blew me away, why with thirty seconds left, after taking two timeouts does nobody tell Jordan Crawford that shooting a fade away 25 foot jump shot is not the best decision? I mean it doesn't take a genius but with the ball game tied, wouldn't it just seem logical to create and try to get into the lane and put up a shot, layup, or even maybe get fouled to win the game? Let's face it, Jordan Crawford was unstoppable last night. He was scoring in every way possible: dribble drives, fast break, contested jump shots, the patented turn around baseline J, I mean he couldn't be guarded last night. So, why in a game where no one can match his athletic ability does he not try to create instead of hoisting up a shot that has a 30% chance of going in? I can't answer that question. That being said, I'm really tired of people saying well, go back to Miller's first year, look at the trouble he had. You know what, and I mean this in no disrespect, but are you being serious with me with that argument? Are you really being serious? That team, talent wise, couldn't hold a torch to this current team talent wise. There is just no argument. None. So don't bring that to me. What you have to ask yourself is, do you genuinely see this team getting better everyday? What I see is flashes. I see flashes of how good this team can be but I have yet to see it fully put together. It's scary to think about how good this team could really be when the click on all cylinders for a full game or for a full conference schedule. I need to be very clear about how I'm coming across as some may think I've thrown in the towel or being completely negative about a team who is still trying to find their identity under a first year coach and one that will be very good in the future. What I'm trying to point out is that this team needs to just have some accountability. They need to just go play. The parts are there. You have a point guard who is well on his way to being arguably the best point guard at Xavier. You have tremendous outside shooting with an inside game to compliment the range which spreads the defense out and opens up lanes to dribble drive, kick the ball for a shot, or get the easy bucket. You have a player who has the tools to play in the league and is still finding his way and chemistry with the team. Basically, as frustrating as it is, this team has one option and if it isn't taken then it could be a long and disappointing season. As a team, take accountability, show up everyday, and know that you're going to get better everyday and as a result you're going to look like Xavier teams of old. But, who am I to judge? I'm just an equipment manager. "Do what we do. No excuses, no explanations."
THE Ohio State Buckeyes finally got the monkey off their back. They came out and proved everyone wrong. By everyone, I mean everyone. Everywhere I read and everything I watched and heard was in favor of Oregon and their high powered offense. Well, there was offense from Oregon but there was also offense from Ohio State. Ohio State also had the D to lock it down. Ohio State's first drive was incredible. I mean #2 just picked apart that defense. Who would've thought that the Bucks would've come out throwing on the first possession of the game? I know I didn't. But being up 10, the Ducks struck and struck quickly. They marched down the field and scored with such speed to tie the game up. But in the end Ohio State wanted it just a little more as the defense made big plays and the offense was very efficient. I think that should shut up all the haters for awhile. I mean seriously, it's no argument that the SEC is king. Ok fine. But year after year Ohio State wins the Big Ten, they play in BCS Bowl games, and they produce NFLers. I'm already looking forward to seeing what they can do next year. If young Pryor can just keep getting better than it could be mistake city for a lot of people out there.
The Browns closed the season out with a four game win streak! Incredible. They found a running back, or so we think in Jerome Harrison. They damn well better pay Joshua Cribbs. They hired a man who knows what the heck he's doing. I think you gotta believe that Brady Quinn showed strides before getting hurt, he's gotta be the guy. The defense will only get better. The offense might be ok. Woah, I better stop because I do this every year, get way too optimistic. But, with a hope and a prayer maybe the Browns will no longer embarrass me.
The Cavs might be starting to really get hot. Happy belated to LeBron! Your book is pretty good homie.
Reunion weekend countdown: 16 days
Current Song: So Damn Lucky - Dave Matthews Band (Europe 2009 Box Set)
-'Killa
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment