Weekend Special

I'm going to jump right into this one right off the bat. LeBron is a poor sport?! Come on. As everyone by now knows, after losing to the Magic 'Bron walked off the court not going through the handshake line and then skipped his presser. All of a sudden people want to jump on 'Bron and say he did the wrong thing and is a poor sport. That's where everyone needs to stop. Ever since he has been in the League he has done everything right and couldn't have been a better player, spokesman, and image for the League. I'll be the first to tell you I had concerns with him coming out of high school and how he would be in the League. I thought after some of the incidents he had in high school, notably the Hummer incident in which he was suspended a game or two for and the birthday party in NYC that LeBron would have a hard time adjusting to the League. But, he proved me wrong and then some. LeBron has handled himself so well it's not even funny and now people want to crack the guy for taking a loss personal. I think Bill Simmons said it best, "When you caused a controversy by storming off the court after Game 6 and refusing to attend your press conference, you did something even better: You brought us back to the days when "rivals" didn't hug each other like Red and Andy after every game, when NBA stars actually took losing personally and treated their peers like enemies instead of friends. I loved it. That was an old-school move. And as reader Brian Naftaly points out, you accomplished something even better: You made your teammates cover you in the postgame press conference, marking the first time all series they did something or helped you in any way. That was genius. Hold your head up high, LeBron James. You could not have done more with the possible exception of coaching the team … and really, that might not have been a bad idea (Bill Simmons)." Now, the NBA wants to fine 'Bron for that move. Seriously, get over yourself NBA. You should be thankful for LeBron because he, Dwayne Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Dwight Howard, and a few others have brought back what the NBA once had with MJ and those other dudes who balled in the late 80's and 90's. David Stern, get a grip, LeBron has saved the League and you should not be punishing him for caring about a loss. Look what the guy did this year. He more or less singlehandedly carried the Cavs all year with minimal support. You are going to punish the guy for not going little league baseball or youth soccer and not going through the handshake line?! Get outta my face. I don't need that and certainly neither does anyone else.

It's the Lakers versus the Magic in the League Finals. I think last night was a pretty good indicator of how it could go down. I said Lakers in 5 and I'm sticking to that. It may have been first game jitters for the Magic. But woah Orlando. Why could you not play like that against the Cavs? Thanks a lot.

UVA is playing in their first ever Super Regional down in Oxford, Mississippi against 'Ole Miss. Let's go Hoos and get the job done this weekend. Everyone needs to represent for UVA.

As most of you know I like to end my posts by "warring" something. Well, I last "unwarred" the WNBA, but 99.9% of the time you'll see me signing off with a war this or a war that. I'm sure you're all wondering where does that come from. Well, it comes from the Jim Rome radio show. Very often callers or e-mailers will end their takes by saying war "something." So I decided to carry it over to my blogging just as a closing thought. I'm sure you are still wondering the origin of the "war." Well it comes from the Auburn football country. In a nutshell, Auburn's rallying cry is "War Eagle!" Much like Ohio State fans go with the "O-H....I-O!" or UVA fans go with "Wahoowa." After attending a Georgia v Auburn game it was clear that not only is it a rallying battle cry but it's part of their language, their lexicon if you will. For example, someone will be like, "Hey, good morning. War Eagle." It's simply just part of conversation. It can be a question, statement, or even if you're mad. At some point in time on the Jim Rome show someone warred something other than Eagle. So it became popular to war whatever you like: themselves, their team, cars, gear, food, etc. It has nothing to do with actual wars like tanks, guns, bombs, or Germany.

Here is a little tribute to freshman year and Kevin McKean aka Enorm.



War making it rain.
-'Killa

No comments:

Post a Comment