The Meetings Were Boring

Death Valley and Howard's Rock got the best of UVA this weekend. With Clemson coaches rocking fatigue pants, senior day, and a baller in CJ Spiller it didn't go too well for Virginia. The crowd of 75,000+ brought the noise in what was one of the best atmospheres I've ever worked in or been a part of (NCAA Elite 8 run still is at the top). That place got loud and even louder after we fumbled the ball and turned it over on the first play from scrimmage. We chalked up 21 points in the first half by running some wildcat and mixing in run and pass plays well. However, in the second half the offense just couldn't produce and Clemson proved too much. CJ Spiller is the real deal. He only had 78 total yards this weekend but I would vote for him for Heisman. The guy is going to eclipse 7,000 total yards in his career and be a first rounder. He is clearly very underrated in a media biased Heisman trophy race. The entrance by Clemson, running down the hill after touching Howard's Rock is BA status. In a matter of days the Groh era is going to come to an end at UVA and someone new will take the reigns and put Virginia back on the map before you know it. Virginia Tech comes to town this weekend in a game that will take place at 3:30 on ESPN for those of you who would like to tune in to the battle for the Commonwealth Cup. It would be a nice way to end the season and era of Coach Groh to win this one. Unfortunately, Tech fans have bought tickets and it could be as much as a 60-40 advantage for the Chokies on Saturday.

The Buckeyes won their 6th straight against Michigan. They did so with a dominating defense that forced turnovers with which the Buckeyes converted into points. Michigan's program is on a steep decline and it's sad to see because I love when that game means a lot more than Ohio State clinching the outright title in the Big Ten. The game did not go without confrontation as a member of the Buckeye staff brushed shoulders with a Michigan player prior to the game inciting an exchange of words. Is Rich Rodriguez done? I don't know, but I have to think that he is on a very very hot seat. Les Miles? Harbaugh from Stanford? Both would be possible candidates if Rodriguez is ousted. Not only does Rich Rod have two back to back losing seasons and no bowl games but there is a brutal investigation going on that could bring the program even farther into the darkest depths of college athletics. I hope this program is revitalized because I do like seeing the maize and blue not only in the top 25 by taking down opponents. There is too much tradition with that program to see it fall from the graces of football lore.

Speaking of falling from the graces of football lore take a look at Notre Dame. I'm sorry Gallagher but I hate Charlie Weis and always have. His cockiness and arrogance rub me the wrong way and I know you won't like hearing this but I love seeing the Domers lose under Weis. I know you said Jim Clausen wants Weiss to stay but it may be too hard for a program of such class and history to continue to keep him there when the team continues to struggle. Charlie Weiss arrived in 2005 and had a heck of a season and went to a BCS Bowl where they lost to Ohio State. However, this team was all players recruited by Ty Willingham. In 2006 the Domers went to the Sugar Bowl. They had a great season, rattling off 8 wins a row at one point. In 2007 Notre Dame had arguably it's worst season under Weis. They had 9 losses. By 2008 Weis had his players in running his system and they finished 7-5 with a win in the Hawaii Bowl over Hawaii. If people want to continue to crown Notre Dame as an elite program then it needs to have seasons like the 2006 and 2005 season. People continue to talk about how great the program is and how it's going to rebound but when is that going to happen? I think it happens when Weis leaves. To me the results with his own players and system speak about his ability to coach. I know Notre Dame goes out every year and plays USC, Michigan, Michigan State, and Stanford but of late Notre Dame has struggled with these teams and even has lost to Navy twice at home. That has to be very frustrating. It's just hard for me to give Notre Dame any credit for Weis' success under teams built by Ty Willingham. I still think Willingham caught a raw deal but it's just the nature of the beast.

Let's holler at some Xavier basketball because it is basketball season and Xavier is all I care about when it comes to the hardwood. Xavier is their name and smack downs is their game. Xavier laid it to BGSU 101-57 behind a career high 24 points by Jordan Crawford. They then got down and laid the smack down to Sacred Heart 105-65 behind another career high 26 points by Jordan Crawford. Does anyone notice a theme here? I do. Jordan Crawford is the real deal. Not only is he the engine that makes Xavier go but he does more than just score. He dimes it up he hits the glass and he defends. He is an all around talent that the A-10 has not really seen. A guard in a forward's body with an outside and inside game and athleticism to go with it. Crawford isn't the only reason for Xavier's success. Everyone is contributing. Five people got in double figures against BGSU and 4 people got in double figures against Sacred Heart. Jason Love had a heck of an effort against Sacred Heart snaring 15 rebounds to go with his 14 points. You have Brad Redford who is just money from anywhere on the court. Cheekz and Tutu are running the point well. Dante is doing what he does and that's defend and contribute offensively. The offense is running smoothly and the defense has been good. The last time Xavier reached the century mark in back to back games the team went to the Elite 8 and that was against Kansas State and UVA. This team is a team full of talent up and down and if they continue to get these types of efforts all season long it's going to be another successful season in Cincinnati. I would like to point out to all you _ayton haters like myself, they are 2-2. Suckers. Thanks but no thanks. What did I say about that team this year? Overrated. I cannot to give them the business like always this year. By the way, Chris Wright, I think you got a challenger for player of the year in the A-10. He goes by the name of Jordan Crawford and he's more rounded as a player than you are. London Warren, glad to see you're still up to your same tricks and that's turning the ball over. Nothing new there. Teams just salivate at the mouth when he's on the court because it's like a 6-4 advantage the way he turns the rock over. Xavier has Marquette on Thanksgiving day at 2pm on ESPN2 so you better believe I'll be feasting and watching basketball. The first true tests of the season are this weekend down in Orlando as they face either Creighton or Michigan after Marquette.

Last but not least, Thursday is Thanksgiving. It is the start of the Holiday season and I couldn't be happier as it marks my favorite time of the year. Stay tuned as I have a special post planned on Thanksgiving noting all of my favorite Holiday traditions.

PS - I have two Virginia vs. Virginia Tech tickets if anyone wants them.

-'Killa

1 comment:

  1. 'Killa, excellant takes, as usual. Here is wishing you and yours an excellant turkey day in C'ville!! Cue up DMB, grab a turkey leg, crack open a Bud Lite and enjoy the XU smackdown of the Warriors...err... Golden Eagles.

    Peace

    The Councilman

    ReplyDelete