
Ok, Ok...I was biting my tongue on this one, but they made me do it, they just made me do it. In light of Kelloggs announcement to not renew Michael Phelps' spokesman contract and the USA swimming team's suspension of three months, I have but one message. Media: Lay off of Michael Phelps.
So what? The man smoked a little grass. Is that such a sin? He is not in competition, because he is a freak of nature he agrees to any additional testing to prove it (passing every-time), does plenty of charity work, and obviously has his priorities in order. The man has won 14 GOLD medals swimming in the Olympics. The freakin' Olympics...
This isn't the end of the world. Ricky Williams smoked plenty of dope in his day. He played pretty well for the Fins this year. The reining Super Bowl MVP, Santonio Holmes, was arrested earlier this year for sparkin blizzies in his SUV. On Media day he also admitted to dealing 'juan as a youth. Not to mention, I saw him on the famous "I'm going to Disney World" commercial after the big victory. Last time I checked, Walt's major marketing audience is children. In fact, President Barack Obama has admitted to tokin a little green in his day.
Now, I am not praising him or condoning his actions, but enough is enough. The media has blown this so out of proportion. I bet Jim Rome got a big chub when this story came out. This is just the type of thing he loves.
If anything, Phelps ripped the pipe, didn't feel his body, laughed his ass off, ate some Doritos, and passed out with hottie. It's not like he killed someone. Time to move on people.
I am in total agreement. Michael Phelps is a man among boys in the pool and that is why this became such a big story...if he was mediocre it wouldn't even have been a headline.
ReplyDeleteI could understand if this picture came out while he was smoking in the Olympic Village in China '08, but the dude isn't even breaking world records right now.
I understand and agree but for a different reason. I know he smoked a little and it shouldn't be a huge deal. However, I do strongly believe that he fucked up big. It should stop being covered for this reason: the man is a role model and he shouldn't receive this much bad publicity for one mistake. If he was to smoke, it should have been at his house, with his friends, not a random USC party where stuff like this can come out. If it wasn't covered as much then the media wouldn't be able to bitch about kids seeing this.
ReplyDeletei agree with both sides. However, where were his "people," "boys," "posse," "crew," "entourage," "homies," etc.? In a world where camera phones are everywhere, why even take the risk? I think it could've been avoided. Unless.....it was one of his people who sold this picture. I say this because apparently this was snapped way back in October/Novemberish. I don't care either way. I'm just wondering where his homies were?
ReplyDeleteI agree that this situation is 100% avoidable in the privacy of your own home. He used a ton of poor judgment. However, I also think Mike was a little D at the time. Think about it, the kid is our age; we love to party, I am sure he still has the same mentality. I would be pissed if someone told me I can't party anymore because of who I am. Not to mention I have done some stupid shit when I am loaded and forgot about in the morning. I just think it has been blown out of proportion, the punishments he has received do not fit the crime. I think people are being way to harsh on him for being a human being and slippin' up. Let's face it, we are at one of the slowest points in the year for sports news after the Super Bowl and before tournament and playoff ball. The media combs the globe for sports stories right now. Need proof? Look at the headlines on ESPN this month, most will be garbage. This is just something that happen at the wrong time, and I think they should cut the guy some slack.
ReplyDeleteFor anyone that remembers E.T., how bad of a mother is the kids mom? She left her kids home alone with an alien. They were trying to tell her, but she was too caught up in her own bullshit to notice
ReplyDelete